Accessibility View Close toolbar

Poison

Dog Poison Treatment in Cambridge, ON

Even the best-behaved dog will sometimes get into substances they shouldn't. Sneaking a treat from the kitchen table is one thing, but what if your furry friend ingests something poisonous? Our team at Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Waterloo Region is experienced in dealing with poisonous substances of all types, and can help care for your dog if you suspect the worst. The key to a good outcome is paying attention to your pet, and fast, decisive action if signs or symptoms appear.

Dog looking at all the poisonous food.

Poisonous Substances for Dogs

Dogs will eat a wide variety of strange objects, including some that are very bad for them. Some of the worst for dogs might surprise you, especially those you consider treats for yourself. Some of the more common ones we see are:

  • Human foods like onions, garlic, grapes and raisins, sugarless gum, and chocolate
  • Houseplants, including aloe, ivy, chamomile, and lily
  • Prescription medications, both for humans and pets
  • Common household chemicals such as cleaning solutions and insect sprays
  • Outdoor substances like antifreeze or lawn & garden chemicals

How to Detect Poisoning

With some pets, it's very hard to figure out that they've ingested something dangerous. Many substances don't produce symptoms right away, and your dog may act perfectly normal (if a little guilty). You'll find out that something has gone wrong by finding other evidence. Keep an eye out for opened bags, containers with bite marks, spilled substances, or tipped-over houseplants. Make sneaking treats under the table forbidden in your house, to prevent dogs from thinking they have a right to snacks in places besides their food bowl.

Sometimes, though, the symptoms are the best way for you to tell your dog has eaten something poisonous. Some of the most common signs are drooling, shivering, diarrhea or vomiting, fainting, trouble breathing, lack of appetite, or drinking a lot more water than usual. 

What to Do

If you suspect your dog has ingested poison, it's important that you act as soon as possible. It's much better to act and be wrong than to ignore signs and symptoms. We never mind treating a pet, just to find out nothing's wrong; in fact, that's often a great relief. 

Contact Our Local Veterinarian Today

As soon as you suspect a problem, call the veterinarian for instructions on how to proceed. Our office is open every night from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m., plus all weekend long starting at 6 Friday night until 8 Monday morning. If your regular veterinarian isn't open with trouble strikes, we're here to help. Give us a call at (519) 650-1617 for poisoning help right away.

Testimonials

Feedback from our clients

  • "My girl had a life threatening illness and they saw her promptly and they were very honest but friendly. They made a positive experience out of an otherwise horrendous time... and they were more affordable than a standard animal hospital! I would give this place 10 stars if I could."
    Chelsea M.
  • "I recently had to take my cat in to the Emergency Vet Clinic of Waterloo, and I would not hesitate to recommend their services to anyone."
    Mike M.